Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Ash Wednesday Prayers

Through Lent, I'm going to try and post a prayer idea a day. I'd love to hear from you if you have a favorite prayer discipline that enriches your walk with God.
Today, of course, is Ash Wednesday a time for stepping outside our normal weekday routine with special intention. We remember, as the prayer book says "Dust you are and to dust you shall return." Not a comfy reminder by any means, but one that does inspire me to sit quietly for at least a brief time and be with God.
One way I have found to help center myself is to slowly and thoughtfully repeat this prayer that narrows everything down to what is important-being God's own beloved child. Sometimes it takes me several repetitions to finally still my heart, mind, and soul enough to sit quietly in God's arms. When you do find yourself in that quiet centered place-allow yourself simply to BE for a while! 

Be still and know that I am God
Be still and know that I am
Be still and know
Be still
Be