Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Praying the Psalms

Many people find the Psalms in the Bible a great source of consolation. As you read through the 150 psalms you will find a variety of human emotion. There is joy, grief, anger, fear, even hatred. No matter what you are feeling, you are certain to find the emotion mirrored in one of the psalms.

How do you pray with the psalms, though? There are some suggestions:
As Maria sings in The Sound of Music, "let's start at the very beginning...a very good place to start." One way to use the psalms for prayer aids, is to start at the beginning-Psalm 1 (you can find them all at www.bcponline.org, too).

You can memorize some verses of your favorite psalm or even the entire psalm. There are many benefits to memorizing psalms and other verses from the Bible. When you are stressed, you will discover that your mind recalls a comforting verse or 2.

Another way to pray with the psalms is to take a favorite psalm and add your own intercessions or thanksgivings between the verses. Everyone knows Psalm 23. It is perfect for this kind of prayer, but many other psalms work too.

The LORD is my shepherd; *
I shall not be in want.
         
Thank you God for all you provide for my life.                                                                                                                   

2He makes me lie down in green pastures *
and leads me beside still waters.
Lord you bring me times of quiet and rest. Be with those who are in times of turmoil.  

3    He revives my soul *
and guides me along right pathways for his Name's sake.
    
You direct me in the ways I am supposed to go. Help me to be aware of your actions.

4    Though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I shall fear no evil; *
for you are with me; your rod and your staff, they comfort me.
Even when there is trouble you are my God beside me. Be with my friends who are sick or in sorrow.

5    You spread a table before me in the presence of those who trouble me; *
you have anointed my head with oil, and my cup is running over.
I know you will never leave me. Bless even those I disagree with or am angry with.

6    Surely your goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life, *
and I will dwell in the house of the L
ORD for ever.
 Thank you Lord for all you do for me and all those who I love. Amen.