Thursday, March 1, 2012

Arrows to Heaven

Paul advises us to "pray without ceasing" (I Thessalonians 5:16). That can sometimes be hard to do if we are in the midst of a busy day. A while ago, a priest introduced me to what he called "Arrow Prayers". These are just perfect for those hectic days when it seems that you cannot fit a prayer in anywhere, but when you really NEED to pray because there is someone on the phone who is contentious or the baby won't stop crying and you have to get out the door.

An arrow prayer is a quick prayer shot up to heaven. "God please help this person on the phone." "Lord help me to be more patient." "Please, dear God, help me to be kind even though I'm tired." These are some kinds of quick little arrow prayers. They can help us refocus on WHO is really important and in charge when we are feeling stressed.

Of course, there is the poem "The Difference" that is a perfect reminder that we need to start each day with prayer. No matter how busy and hectic it may end up being, if we've laid the foundation with some quiet time, it will be easier to shoot off that Arrow Prayer.


The Difference
I got up early one morning
And rushed right into the day;
I had so much to accomplish
That I didn't have time to pray.

Problems just tumbled about me,
And heavier came each task.
'Why doesn't God help me?' 'I wondered.'
He answered, 'You didn't ask.'

I wanted to see joy and beauty,
But the day toiled on, grey and bleak;
I wondered why God didn't show me,
He said, 'You didn't seek.'

I tried to come into God's presence;
I used all my keys at the lock.
God gently and lovingly chided,
'My child, you didn't knock.'

I woke up early this morning,
And paused before entering the day;
I had so much to accomplish,
That I had to take time to pray.
Anonymous